Report Abuse

7:36 pm - admin in Resources

  • If There is Immediate Danger to a Child Call 911

  • If you suspect abuse, reporting it can protect the child and get help for the family. Each State identifies mandatory reporters (groups of people who are required to report suspicions of child abuse or neglect). Any concerned person can and should report suspected child abuse. A report is NOT an accusation; it is an expression of concern and a request for an investigation or evaluation of the child’s situation. If you suspect a child is in a dangerous situation, take immediate action. Your suspicion of child abuse or neglect is enough to make a report. You are not required to provide proof. Investigators in your community will make the determination of whether abuse or neglect has occurred. Almost every state has a law protecting people who make good-faith reports of child abuse from prosecution or liability.
  • Everyone has an ethical obligation to report suspicions of abuse and neglect. Often, a child’s only hope is a report made on his/her behalf by a concerned adult.
  • Hotline counselors are available to receive calls 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.  Remember, a report is simply a request for an investigation, not an accusation.
  • If you suspect a child is being harmed, contact your State Child Abuse Hotline, local Child Protective Services or law enforcement agency so professionals can assess the situation.

For information about where and how to file a report, call ChildHelp USA, National Child Abuse Hotline 1-800-4-A-CHILD / 1-800-422-4453


  • When making a report include as much information as possible:
  • Child’s name and location. It is also useful to provide a description – age, race, gender, parents names, address…
  • Description of what you have seen or heard regarding the abuse or neglect of the child
  • The suspected perpetrator’s name and relationship to the child
  • Names of any other people having knowledge of the abuse
  • Your name and phone number


  • Rights of person making a report
  • Confidentiality: The name of any person reporting child abuse, abandonment, or neglect may not be released to any person other than employees of the department responsible for child protective services, the abuse hotline, law enforcement, the child protection team, or appropriate state attorney, without the written consent of the persons reporting.
  • Immunity from Liability
  • Freedom from Reprisal
  • What happens when I make a report?
  • Your report of possible child maltreatment will first be screened by hotline staff or a CPS worker. If they feel there is enough credible information to indicate maltreatment may have occurred or is at risk of occurring, your report will be referred to staff who will conduct an investigation. Investigators respond within a particular time period (anywhere from a few hours to a few days), depending on the potential severity of the situation. They may speak with the child, the parents and other people in contact with the child (such as teachers, childcare providers or doctors). Their purpose is to determine if abuse or neglect occurred and if it may happen again.
  • If the investigator finds no abuse or neglect occurred, or what happened does not meet the State’s definition of abuse or neglect, the case will  be closed and the family may or may not be referred elsewhere for services. If the investigator feels the child is at risk of harm, the family may be referred to services to reduce the risk of future maltreatment. These may include mental health care, medical care, parenting skills classes, employment assistance, and concrete support such as financial or housing assistance. In rare cases where the child’s safety cannot by ensured, the child may be removed from the home.



  • If you suspect child abuse or neglect on ISKCON property, by an employee, volunteer or resident, contact your local Child Protection Team (CPT). If you do not know who that is or there is no CPT, contact temple management and/ or your local GBC. You may also contact the ISKCON CPO. (see Contact Us page)